Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Emails That Don't Work With Images Disabled

I receive rather a lot of marketing emails these days. Much of it comes from companies with whom I have had some dealings in the past and who have therefore put me on their mailing list. While not exactly spam, it generally isn't particularly interesting to me either. The senders obviously put a lot of work into making their emails look good, by which I mean that they eschew textual content in favour of a large and presumably beautiful image in the centre of the email. This would be great, were it not for the fact Gmail sensibly doesn't display images by default and I have no inclination to turn them on. Most marketing email looks like this to me (with apologies to the company that send this particular email):


That email went straight into my spam folder, which I felt bad about because they were probably a reputable company but not sufficiently obviously so to trust the unsubscribe link. It probably didn't make any difference but it's definitely something to bear in mind when sending marketing emails.





1 comment:

Sweet Lily said...

Excellent! Nice post!